No future-gazing; just real-world learnings
At Quantum, innovators from the most notable corporate legal teams in Australia share practical advice on how to increase productivity, control costs, resource work strategically, and partner with finance. We’ve created two different tracks to guide you toward the sessions most relevant to you and your organization.
For organizations looking to get started on a transformation journey
For experienced corporate legal teams seeking greater success
- 08:00 - 09:00
- Registration and breakfast
- 09:00 - 10:00
- Opening keynote: Driving corporate legal teams forward Kevin Cohn, Chief Customer Officer, Brightflag Alex Kelly, Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer, Brightflag Hear about important trends shaping the future of legal service management, and get a sneak peak into Brightflag’s upcoming innovations for corporate legal teams. We’ll also show a variety of new features designed to deliver greater automation and insights, taking your team to the next level of maturity.
- 10:00 - 10:30
- Morning break
- 10:30 - 11:10
- Giving the business what it wants Andrew Beck, Deputy General Counsel, Pacific National Matt Duncan, Director, Legal Operations, QIC Katrina Gowans, Legal Transformation Lead, Origin Energy Adam Martin, Partner, Norton White Lawyers Today, legal teams are seen and valued as more than mitigators of risk. Learn how forward-thinking organisations are building these strategic partnerships—and importantly, how legal teams can understand and measure what the business values most highly from the relationship with legal.
- 11:20 - 12:00
- Building consensus for transformation Denise Doyle, Legal Transformation Lead, Telstra Elliot Leibu, Head of Legal Operations, ANZ Annamarie Rooding, General Counsel, Operations, Tabcorp Stéphanie Hamon, Head of Legal Operations Consulting, Norton Rose Fulbright Change is constant—and constantly difficult. Arm yourself with practical advice gleaned from real-world transformation initiatives. Experts will discuss how to build consensus for change, both within and beyond legal teams; how to prioritise change projects; and how to secure funding.
- 12:00 - 13:30
- 13:30 - 14:10
Implementing e-billing for the first time Tyler Wilson, Recoveries Transformation Manager, QBE Robin Strahan, Head of Implementation, Brightflag The administrative work associated with managing seven figures of outside provider legal spend across a diverse claims portfolio can be all-consuming. Learn how Australia’s second-largest insurer has implemented e-billing to overcome this challenge, increasing team cohesion and improving cost control.
Using data to optimise pricing negotiation Alison Kerry, Executive Manager, Planning & Operations, Suncorp Sinead Kenny, Senior Customer Success Manager, Brightflag Legal teams invest considerable time and effort into commercial negotiations with outside providers, but too often this is done infrequently and in a vacuum. Learn how one of Australia’s largest banks leverages the power of data to have greater confidence in its negotiations.
- 14:20 - 15:00
Practical learnings from modernisation Matthew McKenzie, Senior Legal Counsel, BlueScope Sam Morrissy, Legal Counsel, BlueScope Following from the morning session on building consensus for transformation, in this session, two senior attorneys will share their real-world experiences in successfully achieving consensus on which systems to adopt, implementing those systems and processes, and their practical learnings from doing so.
Strengthening the finance partnership Stephen Donaldson, Program Manager, Optus Colin Laird, Director of Sales, APAC, Brightflag Legal spend unpredictability causes friction with finance teams and complicates reporting compliance. Learn how Optus is establishing cross enterprise line of sight on legal spend and building more efficient processes between legal and accounts payable.
- 15:00 - 15:40
Talking about a revolution Michael Chambers, Executive Manager, Commercial Services, National Australia Bank National Australia Bank has undergone an incredible amount of change in the last few years, including significant changes to the scale of the legal team while demands from the business have accelerated. Hear from the inside about what it’s like to guide this degree of transformation.
Creating a business case for internal headcount Kate Carlile, Chief Legal Officer, Toll Group Jessica Voglis, Legal Counsel, Toll Group One of a leader’s primary responsibilities is to resource work effectively. With a diverse and growing universe of business models, the allure of outsourcing is strong. Sometimes, however, it’s best to keep work in-house. Learn about how to leverage data to make resourcing decisions with confidence.
- 15:40 - 16:10
- Afternoon break
- 16:10 - 17:00
- Closing keynote: Protecting the public interest Henry Carr, Assistant Secretary, Attorney-General’s Department Elizabeth Carroll, Chief Legal Counsel, IP Australia Ian Nolan, Co-Founder & CEO, Brightflag As Quantum draws to a close, public servants will engage in a passionate conversation about delivering legal services for the benefit of all Australians. Naturally, transparency and value for money take on added importance in the public sector; learn how these professionals deliver on it.
- 17:00 - 18:00
- Closing reception
Get approval to attend
Do you need approval to attend Quantum? Use our justification letter to convince your General Counsel or Finance Director of how valuable the conference will be for your legal team.Download justification letter